This 7 Layer Taco Dip is loaded with fun, delicious flavors perfect for feeding a crowd in any festive occasion!
Why You Will Love 7 Layer Taco Dip
- EASY – If you are using all canned ingredients, this recipe takes just minutes to whip up. The easiest party dip ever!
- MAKE AHEAD – You can even make this dip ahead of time and let it chill in the fridge until your guests arrive! Just make sure you cover it tightly.
- VERSATILE – This is one of the those recipes that you can add or subtract ingredients to your tastes. Read below for some inspiration!
- GREAT TO FEED A CROWD – This is a great party dip that you can just leave out with some chips and let your guests serve themselves. It will go quickly, we promise!
- VEGETARIAN – This is a great option for vegetarians!
7 Layer Taco Dip Recipe
So, why is it called 7 Layer Taco Dip? While there are more than 7 ingredients in this recipe, it all adds up to 7 layers. The layers we have are Refried Beans, Sour Cream/Cream Cheese, Salsa, Cheese, Lettuce, Chives and Olives. For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started:
- REFRIED BEANS – We just used canned refried beans but you can certainly make your own. If you do, just make sure you let them cool before adding them. You can also use low fat beans to lighten up the dish a bit.
- CREAM CHEESE – Make sure you soften your cream cheese or it can be a lot harder to work with. Also, there are some great flavored Cream Cheese options that would be great in this dish like: Garden Vegetable, Chive and Onion, Buffalo or Jalapeno.
- SOUR CREAM – You can substitute reduced fat sour cream if you’d like.
- TACO SESASONING – Use whatever brand or spice level you’d like.
- SALSA – Again. use whatever you want here. There are tons of salsa options that vary in flavor and spice level.
- SHREDDED CHEDDAR CHEESE – Finely shredded cheese is best in this dish. Use whatever kind you want. Mexican Blend Taco Cheese or Pepper Jack can add some extra spice and flavor.
- ROMAINE LETTUCE – Shredded lettuce gives it that nice fresh crunch just like a real taco!
- CHIVES – Also called green onions. Chopped.
- BLACK OLIVES – Sliced.
Storage, Leftovers and Freezing
Your 7 Layer Dip should be good in your fridge for 3-4 days. But the sour cream and cream cheese may start getting watery after a day or two. Make sure you store it in an airtight container or wrap it tightly with Plastic Wrap to maximize freshness.
I would not freeze this dip. As it thaws, it will be come very runny and watery.
What To Dip Into 7 Layer Dip?
You can dip just about anything into this delicious recipe! Some ideas would be Tortilla Chips, Pita Chips, Bagel Chips, Fritos, Crackers, Doritos, Celery or Bell Peppers.
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- CAN YOU MAKE 7 LAYER TACO DIP AHEAD OF TIME? – Yep! This dip is great to make a couple hours ahead of time or even the night before.
- ADDITIONS – Some fun additions to this dip could be: Roma Tomatoes, Rotel Tomatoes, Sliced Jalapenos, Cilantro, Pico de Gallo, Guacamole or sliced Avocado.
- GUACAMOLE – If you do add guacamole, we suggest adding it under the sour cream layer to protect it. As soon as it’s exposed to oxygen, it starts to brown.
- ADD MEAT – Feel free to add some ground beef or shredded chicken to this dish.
- IS 7 LAYER TACO DIP SERVED HOT OR COLD? – This dip is always served cold. There are some great hot dip recipes that are served hot, like: Buffalo Chicken Dip, Hot Corn Dip, Velveeta Rotel Dip, Chili Cream Cheese Dip or Crockpot Fiesta Corn Dip.
7 Layer Taco Dip
- 1 can 16 oz, refried beans
- 1 brick 8 oz, cream cheese, softened
- 8 ounces sour cream
- 1 package 1 oz, dry taco seasoning
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup chopped romaine lettuce
- 2 tablespoons chopped chives
- 2 tablespoons sliced olives
- Spread refried beans onto a serving platter in an even layer. Set aside.
- Beat together cream cheese, sour cream.
- Add taco seasoning with a mixer until smooth.
- Spoon on top of beans and spread in an even layer.
- Top with salsa and cheese.
- Add lettuce, chives and olives.
- Serve immediately or cover and refrigerate until ready to serve with tortilla chips.