These Special K Bars are a classic, easy no bake dessert perfect for any occasion. Sweet, salty and slightly crunchy dessert bars to topped with a hard, glossy chocolate layer.
Why You Will Love Special K Bars
- EASY – These Special K Bars need just a couple simple pantry staples and a few minutes of prep! They are a great beginner recipe or a fun recipe to let the kids help out with.
- NO BAKE – No need to even turn your oven on!
- GREAT FOR ANY OCCASION – Perfect for bake sales, Potlucks, Pitch Ins, Birthday Parties or just a tasty treat during the day!
What Are Special K Bars?
This is a classic recipe that has been around for decades. They generally consist of a peanut butter layer mixed with cereal. A lot of times, this layer is made with corn syrup. But we make ours with Marshmallows to make the bars even more soft and gooey. They are usually topped with a hardened chocolate butterscotch mixture.
What Is The Difference Between Special K Bars and Scotcheroos
These desserts are very similar and are sometimes used to mean the same recipe. But, technically, Scotcheroos are made with Rice Krispies and Special K Bars are made with Special K cereal.
Special K Bars Recipe
For step-by-step instructions, check out the recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started.
- BUTTER – Unsalted Butter. Divided. You’ll need some for the bar layer and the chocolate layer.
- MARSHMALLOWS – The marshmallows make these bars extra soft and deliciously chewy! We used Jumbo Marshmallows. But you can use Mini Marshmallows if that is what you have.
- PEANUT BUTTER – We used smooth creamy peanut butter. But you can use chunky peanut butter to add if a little more texture if you’d like.
- SPECIAL K CEREAL – Obviously, you’ll need this!
- CHOCOLATE CHIPS – We used Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips but you can use Dark Chocolate or Milk Chocolate if you’d like.
- BUTTERSCOTCH CHIPS – This dessert is traditionally made with a combo of equal parts chocolate and butterscotch. But if you aren’t a big butterscotch fan, you can just double the chocolate. That would be 2 cups.
GOT LEFTOVER BUTTERSCOTCH CHIPS? MAKE THESE BUTTERSCOTCH COOKIES!
How To Store Special K Bars
Special K Bars are best stored at room temperature in an airtight container. They should stay good for about 5 days. You can keep them in the refrigerator, but they are tough to eat when they are cold.
Special K Bars freeze great! I’d cut them into squares and separate them with parchment paper. Let them thaw at room temperature before eating.
Can You Use Corn Flakes in Special K Bars?
Although this isn’t the same cereal, they are similar enough that you can use corn flakes in this recipe. The texture will be different, but still delicious.
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- USE STORE BOUGHT PEANUT BUTTER – Don’t use “natural peanut butter” (where the oil separates on top). It won’t work in this recipe Use any brand of the store bought stuff (Jiffy, Peter Pan, Skippy, etc.).
- WORK QUICKLY – Both layers firm up quickly as they cool. And are much harder to work with as they firm up. I’d pre-measure all ingredients so you can work quickly.
- BEST WAY TO SPREAD THE PEANUT BUTTER MIXTURE – The mixture will be sticky. Spray a spatula with non-stick cooking spray and use that to spread the mixture evenly.
- USE PARCHMENT PAPER – Some people like to line the baking dish with parchment paper. This makes getting the bars out after they have hardened a little easier.
We hope you enjoy this Special K Bars Recipe. We’d love to hear how it turns out in the comment section. Happy Eating!
LOOKING FOR MORE GREAT NO BAKE TREATS LIKE THIS? CHECK OUT:
Special K Bars
- 1 cup butter divided
- 1 12 ounce package marshmallows
- 1 cup smooth peanut butter
- 6 cups Special K cereal
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1 cup butterscotch chips
- Heat the butter in a large stockpot over medium low heat. When the butter has melted, add the marshmallows and peanut butter. Continue cooking over low heat until the marshmallows are melted.
- Remove the pan from heat and stir in the cereal.
- Transfer the mixture to a 9x13 dish and lightly press into an even layer in the pan.
- Combine the chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, and butter in a microwave safe bowl. Heat in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval, until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is fully combined.
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the top of the bars.
- Allow to cool completely and harden before slicing and serving.