These Cuban Sliders are loaded with shredded pork, sliced ham, dill pickles, swiss cheese and dijon mustard. Everything is baked on a Hawaiian Roll brushed with garlic and butter. Perfect as a lunch, dinner, finger food or game day snack, there is a ton of authentic flavor in each bite!
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- EASY TO SHARE – Entertaining for the big game? Or need to feed a large crowd? Make a batch of these sliders and your guests will love you! It’s a great, “grab and go” easy handheld sandwich.
- FUN – A lot of sandwich shops have their own version of a cuban sandwich. But we think it’s so fun to make a miniature “slider” version!
- EASY – So quick and easy to make! Just layer all your ingredients onto some Hawaiian Rolls and let the oven do all the work!
The Cuban Sandwich is a super popular dish, especially in Florida. It originated as an alternative to a standard ham and cheese sandwich and was popularized by serving the Cuban immigrants working in the cigar industry in Florida. Generally, the always consist of pork, ham, mustard and pickles. After that, variations (and arguments in Florida) can be found!
We keep our version of Cuban Sliders pretty basic, with some added seasonings for flavor. For step-by-step instructions, check out our printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started.
Cuban Sliders Ingredients
- PORK – Cooked and shredded. Read more about pork options below.
- BUTTER – To both cook into our pork and brush on top of our rolls. Yum!
- SEASONINGS – Oregano, cumin, garlic powder, salt and pepper.
- HAWAIIAN ROLLS – The salty pork, rich mustard and tangy pickles taste so good with these soft, sweet rolls.
- DIJON MUSTARD – Any good, quality mustard will do.
- HAM – Have your deli ham sliced as thinly as possible for best results in the sandwich.
- SWISS CHEESE – A must for any Cuban sandwich.
- DILL PICKLE CHIPS – You can buy them pre-sliced as chips or slice your own.
- GARLIC – To be combined with melted butter and brushed on top of bun.
Can You Make These Sliders Ahead Of Time?
Yep! You can completely assemble these sliders, wrap them up tightly in aluminum foil or plastic wrap and keep them in your refrigerator until you are ready to bake them in the oven.
Storage and Leftovers
You can store leftover Cuban Sliders in an airtight container in your refrigerator. Reheat them in the microwave but they can also taste yummy cold as well.
I would not freeze Cuban Sliders.
Notes, and Tips and FAQs
- NOTES ON PORK -This is a great recipe to use leftover pork or pulled pork if you have some. That is what we did. I looked and couldn’t find cooked and shredded pork in the store that didn’t already have BBQ sauce added to it. You may be able to find some. Otherwise, yes, you will have to cook and shred some pork for this recipe.
- USE THIN HAM SLICES – Also, make sure the ham slices are as thin as possible. If they are too think, this slider may be too “heavy” when paired with the pork.
- CAN YOU USE YELLOW MUSTARD? – Don’t like Dijon Mustard? There are plenty of Cuban sandwich recipes that use plain yellow mustard. So you can sub that if you’d like.
- USE ANY BUNS – Cubans are usually made on Cuban Bread. I think the best part of these sliders is the Hawaiian buns. But, you can use any slider bun if you need to. Or use potato rolls.
- SHORTCUT – Hawaiian Rolls usually come attached to each other in the package. No need to tear them part. You can cut the tops and bottoms apart all in one slice. And then just put all the bottom halves in your baking pan.
- ADD PARSLEY – We didn’t do this, but some recipes add parsley to the butter mixture that is brushed on top.
I hope you enjoy this Cuban Sliders Recipe. Let me know how they work out for you in the comment section!
LOOKING FOR MORE SLIDER RECIPES? CHECK OUT:
- 8 ounces pork cooked and shredded
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- salt and pepper
- 6 hawaiian rolls
- dijon mustard
- 3 large slices of thin sliced ham
- 3 pieces swiss cheese
- dill pickle slices
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Add pork, butter, oregano, cumin and garlic powder to a small skillet. Heat over medium high heat, stirring frequently until hot. Season with salt and pepper.
- Preheat oven to 350 and grease a casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Cut rolls in half lengthwise and separate buns. Add mustard to the bottom of the bun and place into the prepared baking dish.
- Add 1 slice on top of each bun. Break cheese in quarters and place 2 squares on top of each ham.
- Cut ham in half so you have six pieces. Place on top of cheese.
- Divide pork and place equally on each sandwich.
- Top with pickles and top of bun.
- Mix together butter and garlic and use a pastry brush to spread on top of each bun. Bake for 20 minutes or until cheese is melted and sandwiches are heated through.