This Homemade Ice Cream Sandwich Recipe is the perfect cool treat for these hot summer days. Soft and chewy chocolate cookies sandwich smooth vanilla ice cream (or whatever flavor you prefer!). Enjoy them right away or freeze them for later!
Summer Sweets and Treats!
Now that those summer days seem like they are finally here to stay for a while. It is time to start focusing on some treats that can cool you off when the heat sets in. We’ve shared a couple cool, refreshing sweets for this time of year. Some of our favorites have been this No Bake Kool Aid Pie and this Strawberry Jello Cool Whip Pie. They are SOOO light and refreshing! You also don’t want to miss out on our Strawberry Pretzel Salad and our Pineapple Pretzel Salad. They are some of our most popular dessert recipes!
The the classic summer dessert treat has always Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches. I’m sure we all remember unwrapping those store bought Ice Cream Sandwiches as a kid. All of my friends at theirs in different ways. Come would take the chocolate wafer off the top, some would start lickeing the ice cream out of the middle. And some would just start munching on the whole thing!
Today, we thought that we’d share a fun recipe for a Homemade Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwich. It is so easy to make and they are SOOO much better than the store bought kind. And this would be a super fun baking activity to do with your kids this summer!
Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwich
It’s pretty easy and straight forward to make this Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwich Cookie Recipe. First of all, here is what you will need:
- Flour + extra for rolling
- High quality cocoa powder
- Baking powder
- Granulated sugar
- Unsalted butter, softened
- Large egg, room temperature
- Vanilla extract
- Circular cookie cutter (about 2 ½ inches in diameter)
- Vanilla ice cream
All you’ll need to do is follow the instructions down on the recipe card below and you’ll be in Ice Cream Heaven in no time!
Notes, Tips and Variations
- Improvise with Ice Cream- We used just plain Vanilla Ice Cream for this recipe. But there is nothing wrong with exploring different flavor combos. My son is a chocolate fanatic and I’m sure he’d be just fine with chocolate ice cream along with the chocolate cookies! Or mint chocolate chip would be tasty too!
- Storing These Ice Cream Sandwiches- You can easily wrap these in parchment paper and store them in your freezer to enjoy whenever you want to. Just make sure that you are wrapping them EXTREMELY well in the paper or they will get freezer burn.
- Chocolate Chips- Add some chocolate chips to this recipe. Either you can bake some chocolate chips into the cookie. Or, better yet, roll the cookies in mini chocolate chips to coat on the ice cream!
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwiches. Please let me know how it works our for you in the comments. Thanks!
Chocolate Ice Cream Sandwich
- 1 ½ cups a/p flour + extra for rolling
- 7 tbsp high quality cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Circular cookie cutter about 2 ½ inches in diameter
- 12 scoops vanilla ice cream about 6 cups
In a medium-sized bowl, sift together dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking powder and salt.
In a separate bowl, cream together sugar and butter.
Add egg and mix well, followed by the vanilla extract.
Slowly add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and mix.
Once cookie dough forms, wrap in plastic and chill in the refrigerator for about one hour
Remove the dough from the refrigerator.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
Add flour to a clean working surface. Sprinkle flour on a rolling pin.
Roll out cookie dough until it’s about ½ an inch thick.
Use cookie cutter to cut out circles of the cookie dough.
Place gently on lined baking sheet. Bake for 6-8 minutes.
Allow to cool on a wire rack.
Add ice cream (about 2 scoops) to one cookie and sandwich with another cookie. Serve and enjoy!