These Grilled Jalapeno Poppers are the perfect snack or appetizer for any occasion. Fresh jalapenos crammed with bubbly cream cheese, cheddar cheese, spices and bacon bits all wrapped up in an extra slice of bacon. Cooked to crispy perfection on the grill, it’s the perfect finger food for your next party, cookout or tailgate! And, with no breading, this is an awesome LOW CARB dish!
Why You Will Love Grilled Jalapeno Poppers
- PERFECT FOR A COOKOUT – You’ve got that grill nice and hot! Before you throw your burgers or steaks on there, why not make this super delicious appetizer for everyone!
- EASY – Just cut the jalapenos and deseed them. Mix up your cream cheese filling and then wrap them in bacon. You can do any or all of these steps ahead of time for a quick prep when your guests are over!
- DELICIOUS – Soft, spicy jalapenos are stuffed with that hot cream cheese filling and then wrapped in crispy bacon. Want one? That’s what I thought!
Grilled Jalapeno Poppers
Traditionally, when you have Jalapeno Poppers in a restaurant, they are breaded and then deep fried. Now, listen, there is absolutely NOTHING wrong with that. But we thought it would be fun to take away the breading, add bacon and cook them on our grill! For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you will need to get started:
- JALAPENOS – You can use a green or red jalapeno pepper. The red ones are sometimes a little more spicy. Just make sure they are a good size and shape. Cut in half lengthwise and remove the stems and seeds.
- CREAM CHEESE – Make sure it is softened. There are TONS of different kinds of cream cheese out there. Try anything you want. From reduced fat cream cheese to Chive and Onion to Garlic and Herb. There is even Jalapeno Cream Cheese for some extra kick if you dare! Have fun!
- SEASONINGS – Garlic powder, salt, black pepper and dried parsley flakes.
- CHEESE – We used shredded cheddar cheese. But you can use whatever sounds good!
- BACON – We recommend using the thinner style of bacon, which will crisp up a little better on the grill.
Can You Make This Recipe In An Oven?
Yep! You sure can. If you don’t have a grill or are unable to use it right now, you can cook these Bacon Wrapped Jalapeno Poppers in the oven. Cook them for about 20 minutes at 425 degrees. If you need to, you can turn on the broiler for the last 1 minute or so to get the bacon nice and crispy!
Can You Make Grilled Jalapeno Poppers Ahead Of Time?
Yes, you can do this too. You can assemble them ahead of time and wrap them in the bacon. Then you can store them in your refrigerator for up to 3 days. Or you can even wrap them individually and freeze them. It should be good in your freezer for up to a couple of months! Put them on the grill frozen! You’ll probably have to cook them a little longer over a lower heat to make sure it is cooked thoroughly.
Do You Need To Wrap Grilled Jalapeno Poppers In Bacon?
Nope, there are plenty of versions of this recipe where the stuffed pepper halves can go straight on the grill without being wrapped in bacon at all. That will work fine. If you still want a little bacon in this recipe, you can dice up some crispy bacon and mix the crumbled bacon in with your cream cheese filling. Or, even easier, just sprinkle some bacon bits on top!
Notes, Tips and Variations
- Do NOT flip your stuffed Jalapenos on the grill. The cheese will go everywhere!
- Wear gloves with handling the Jalapeño poppers. If you don’t, then be very careful and wash your hands well after handling them. Have you ever gotten Jalapeno oil in your eye? Ouch!
- Make sure you are cooking the Grilled Jalapeno Poppers over an indirect heat. I pile my charcoal up to on side of the grill and put the Poppers on the grate on other side.
- You can try out different kinds of bacon but I’d suggest using a “thinner” style of bacon instead of thick cut. I’m all about thick cut bacon for breakfast, but it won’t work as well on this recipe. Use a toothpick to hold the bacon in place.
- Experiment with cheese! Try out some Pepper Jack Cheese for some added heat. Or blend in some Mozzarella or another soft cheese along with the Cheddar.
I hope you enjoy this Grilled Jalapeno Poppers Recipe. These bite sized, bacon wrapped bombs of spicy flavor are just the thing next time you need a solid appetizer recipe!
Grilled Jalapeno Poppers
- 5 fresh jalapenos
- 1 8- ounce package cream cheese softened
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley flakes
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 4 strips cooked bacon chopped
- 10 strips uncooked bacon
- Slice each jalapeno in half lengthwise and remove the seeds. Set aside.
- Add the cream cheese to a medium bowl and season with garlic powder, salt, black pepper, and parsley flakes. Add the cheddar cheese and chopped bacon. Stir to combine all ingredients.
- Scoop the cream cheese mixture into the jalapenos, being careful not to overfill.
- Wrap one strip of bacon around each jalapeno, making sure to cover the entire pepper.
- Place the jalapeno poppers on the grill over indirect heat and close the lid. Cook for 30 minutes, until the bacon is cooked through.
Comments & Reviews
Can I make these in the oven?
Absolutely! I would bake for 20 -25 minutes in a 400 degree oven.