These easy and fun St. Patrick’s Day Cookies are the perfect dessert for your Irish themed party. Also called reverse chocolate chip cookies or inside out cookies, they are chewy chocolate cookies with caramel chips and green M&Ms.
LOOKING FOR MORE COOKIE RECIPES? CHECK OUT:
There are so many different holidays that have tons of fun treats and desserts to go with them: Pumpkin Pie at Thanksgiving, Christmas Cookies at Christmas, Cadbury Eggs at Easter, tons of candy at Halloween… But one of the most festive parties of the year is often St. Patrick’s Day. I’ve always loved St. Patrick’s Day. It just seems like such a happy and fun holiday! Here in the Midwest, the weather FINALLY starts to get a little nicer, the sun comes out and it just feels like there is so much to celebrate.
So, what is the go-to dessert for St. Patrick’s Day? My husband would probably say green beer! There are a ton of different fun things you can make to treat yourself during this holiday. But I found this really great recipe for St. Patrick’s Day cookies that I’d love to share with you.
What Is An Inside Out Cookie?
Inside out cookies are also sometimes called reverse chocolate chip cookies. Where normal chocolate chip cookies have a “vanilla” based cookie and chocolate chips mixed in, “reverse” cookies switch that around. They often consist of a chocolate cookie with white chocolate chips in them.
St. Patrick’s Day Cookies with Green M&Ms
For our St. Patrick’s Day Cookies recipe, we decided to improvise on that a little bit. Instead of white chocolate chips, we have caramel chips! And, we didn’t stop there! We mixed in some green M&Ms to give us a little luck of the Irish!
The result is a soft, rich and chewy cookie with the saltiness of of the caramel chips and the slight crunch of the M&Ms!
While we did use the caramel chips in our recipe, if white chocolate is your thing, than you could most certainly sub in white chocolate chips with no problem. But don’t sub the green M&Ms!
St. Patrick's Day Cookies
- 1 cup flour
- ¼ cup high quality cocoa powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
- ¾ sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 3 ounces semi-sweet chocolate melted and cooled down
- 1 stick butter softened
- ¾ cups caramel chips
- ¾ cups green chocolate-covered candies
- In a small bowl, sift together all dry ingredients: flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, cream together egg and both sugars. Add vanilla and stir.
- Add melted chocolate and butter into wet ingredients and mix.
- Slowly add dry ingredients into wet ingredients and fold until a soft cookie dough forms.
- Fold in caramel chips and green chocolate-covered candies.
- Cover bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Remove cookie dough from refrigerator. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Roll out cookie dough balls, about 1 inch in diameter each. Set gently on lined baking sheet, placing them about 2 inches apart from each other.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Allow to cool on a wire rack before serving. Enjoy!
While we did use the caramel chips in our recipe, if white chocolate is your thing, than you could most certainly sub in white chocolate chips with no problem. But don't sub the green M&Ms!