This Crockpot Pork and Sauerkraut is an incredibly easy and delicious meat. Tender pork is cooked with sweet apples and tangy sauerkraut! Serve with mashed potatoes or your favorite vegetable.
Why You Will Love Crockpot Pork and Sauerkraut
- SIMPLE – With just a few, common ingredients and a couple minutes of preparation, you can get this roast in your crockpot and let the slow cooker do all the work. So easy!
- DELICIOUS – There are so many people that say they just “aren’t big sauerkraut fans” until they try this dish. The sauerkraut totally makes this recipe taste so amazing! And the sweetness of the apples along with the saltiness of the pork are a fantastic flavor combination!
- GREAT FOR ANY OCCASION – A lot of people like to eat Pork Roast and Sauerkraut around the holidays. A lot of people traditionally eat this dish on New Year’s Day for good luck in the new year. But this dish really works any time of year. It would be a great family dinner, and leftovers are even better the next day for lunch! Get it going before heading for work and come home to dinner already prepared!
How To Make Crockpot Pork and Sauerkraut
The process is so easy! Just mix together your sauerkraut ingredients, season the pork and then put it all in your slow cooker! For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started:
- SAUERKRAUT – You can use canned, bagged or refrigerated sauerkraut. It doesn’t really matter. We didn’t drain the sauerkraut and let the juices add some more flavor. If you are hesitant about an overwhelming sauerkraut flavor, you can drain the juices or use less of them.
- APPLE – Cored and cut into wedges. We used on medium sized apple. You can peel it if you’d like, but you don’t need to (we didn’t). Use a sweeter apple that can stand up to cooking while holding it’s shape. Golden Delicious or Honeycrisp works.
- BROWN SUGAR – The sweetness of the brown sugar tastes so great with the saltiness of the pork!
- MAPLE SYRUP – This is especially delicious in the Fall, to give it those homemade comfort food flavors!
- BONELESS PORK LOIN ROAST – Anywhere from 2-3 pounds will work.
- SEASONINGS – Garlic powder, onion powder, salt and black pepper.
Storage, Leftovers and Freezing
Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator. You can reheat pork loin in your microwave.
To freeze, let it cool to room temperature and put it in a freezer safe container or freezer bag. Label it and it will be good in your freezer for up to 4 months.
What Kind Of Pork Roast Is Best To Use In A Slow Cooker?
The awesome thing about Slow Cookers is that they will make just about any cut of meat super tender. So you can use a couple pork loin, pork tenderloin or even a pork shoulder for this recipe. Pork chops are also delicious in your slow cooker!
What To Serve with Slow Cooker Pork
This Crockpot Pork and Sauerkraut goes great with just about anything. A super easy way to make this dish to even further is to slice up some baby potatoes and just throw them in with the pork to slow cook. But it would also be delicious with mashed potatoes.
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- DO I HAVE TO USE APPLES? – If you don’t have any apples, I have heard or people substituting with Applesauce, Apple Butter or even Apple Juice. Although we have not tried this.
- CLEANING SHORTCUT – To make cleanup super easy, use a Crockpot Liner!
- FEEDING A CROWD? – Crockpot Pork and Sauerkraut is REALLY easy to double. Just make sure you use two slow cooker or have a large enough one to hold everything.
- DO YOU NEED TO SEAR YOUR PORK FIRST? – We did not sear our pork before putting it in the Crockpot and the results were still fabulous. But you could sear your pork in a large skillet or dutch oven before slow cooking to get even better results.
- DIETARY RESTRICTIONS – This recipe is naturally, gluten-free, paleo and non-dairy!
- HOW DO YOU KNOW WHEN YOUR PORK IS DONE? – Use a meat thermometer. The internal temp of pork should be between 145 degrees and 160 degrees. It’s ok if it is a little pink inside.
We hope you enjoy this Crock Pot Pork and Sauerkraut Recipe. Please let us know how it turns out in the comment section. Happy Eating!
Crockpot Pork and Sauerkraut
- 1 32- ounce package sauerkraut undrained
- 1 medium apple cored, cut into thin wedges
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 2- to 3- pound boneless pork loin roast
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- Salt and pepper
- Stir together the sauerkraut, apple wedges, brown sugar, and maple syrup in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Grease the bottom and sides of the bowl of the slow cooker and place the pork loin in the bowl. Season both sides with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper.
- Pour the sauerkraut mixture over the top of the roast.
- Place the lid on the top of the slow cooker and cook on low for 8 hours or high for 5 hours.
- When the pork is cooked through, remove the meat from the slow cooker and slice before serving.