These Beef Tips and Rice are a classic Southern Comfort Food that makes and easy family dinner any night of the week. Tender beef is cooked in a hearty, rich gravy and served over rice.
Why You Will Love Beef Tips and Rice
- EASY – You probably already have a lot of these ingredients in your kitchen. And, you can use just about any cut of meat for your beef tips. This makes this recipe pretty inexpensive!
- IMPROVISE – Got leftover vegetables? Throw them into this recipe to make it stretch a little further. Mushrooms and green peppers would be great! You can also serve Beef Tips and Gravy over leftover mashed potatoes or egg noodles! This is one of those recipes that is really hard to screw up!
What Are Beef Tips?
So, what are beef tips? How are beef tips different than stew meat? Generally, they have a lot in common as far as size and uses. But beef tips are usually a more tender cut of meat, taken from a beef tenderloin. Stew meat is usually taken from a shoulder cut or a chuck roast and may be tougher cuts of meat.
How To Make Beef Tips and Rice
The process is SO simple! For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below But here is what you’ll need to get started:
- OLIVE OIL – To saute the onions. Substitute for any oil you’d like or that you have on hand.
- ONION – One medium onion. Chopped. We like to use a yellow onion for it’s milder flavor. But feel free to use a red onion.
- GARLIC – Minced garlic. Use fresh garlic or the kind that comes in a jar if you’d like.
- STEW MEAT – You can make beef tips with “stew meat” or the more expensive, but more tender “sirloin tips”. We used stew meat and they turned out great. Just cut the meat into cubes if it hasn’t already been done for you at the grocery store.
- BEEF BROTH – Adds richness to the gravy.
- SOY SAUCE – Use reduced sodium soy sauce if you are worried about your salt intake.
- SEASONINGS – Garlic Powder. Salt and black pepper to taste.
- WATER – To make your gravy with.
- BROWN GRAVY MIX – Any brand will do.
- WHITE RICE – Prepared in any method you’d like. We love to use our Instant Pot to make rice! Substitute with brown rice if you’d like.
Storage, Leftovers and Freezing
Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator. It should be good in your fridge for about 5 days. This recipe reheats fine in the microwave.
You can freeze Beef Tips and Rice. Just let it cool to room temperature and put into a freezer safe container or a freezer bag. Label and date it. It should stay good in your freezer for up to 4 months.
Can You Make Beef Tips In A Slow Cooker?
Yep. You sure can! Just saute the onions and brown the beef in a skillet. Then add them and all the other ingredients to a Crock pot. Cook on high for 3-4 hours or on low for 7-8 hours. Stir before serving.
What If My Gravy Is Too Thin?
If you need to thicken up your gravy, you can easy do this by making a cornstarch slurry. Which is a 1 to 2 ratio of cornstarch to slurry. Just slowly add it to your gravy until you get the desired thickness.
We hope you enjoy this Beef Tips with Rice Recipe. Please let us know how it turns out in the comments section. Happy Eating!
LOOKING FOR MORE FAMILY DINNERS LIKE THIS? CHECK OUT:
- BISQUICK CHICKEN AND DUMPLINGS
- CHEESEBURGER CASSEROLE
- CROCKPOT RANCH PORK CHOPS
- OLD FASHIONED GOULASH
- HAMBURGER HOTDISH
Beef Tips and Rice
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 pounds cubed beef stew meat
- 2 cups beef broth
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 packet brown gravy mix
- 2 cups white rice prepared
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large skillet.
- Add the onion and garlic and saute until translucent.
- Add the stew meat.
- Combine beef broth, soy sauce, garlic powder, salt, and black pepper.
- Add to the pan. Stir to combine.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer covered until the meat is tender, around 1 1/2 hours.
- When the meat is cooked, whisk together the brown gravy mix and water until smooth. Pour the mixture into the pan and simmer until the sauce has thickened.
- Serve over rice.