These soft, yummy Christmas Pinwheel Cookies are a fun, festive recipe that is easy to make during the holiday season!
‘Tis The Season For Christmas Cookies
Of all the sweets and treats during the holiday season, the Christmas Cookie has a special place in my heart. I fondly remember baking and decorating them with my family when I was a kid.
That fun hasn’t ended now that I am an adult. And, as a parent, I love making Christmas Desserts with my own children. We’ve shared some of our favorites on this site. From fun Holiday treats like these Christmas Tree Sugar Cookies, Santa Hat Cupcakes and this Oreo Truffles Reindeer “Poop” to more traditional seasonal fare like Peppermint Chocolate Cookies and Butter Pecan Cookies, there is no end to the Christmas fun in our kitchen.
The recipe I’m sharing today may be our funnest yet! These Christmas Pinwheel Cookies are so cool looking!
Christmas Pinwheel Cookies
These Christmas Pinwheel Cookies are fun, festive and full of Holiday flavor! Ready to get started? Here is what you’ll need:
- Unsalted butter
- Granulated sugar
- Vanilla extract
- All-purpose flour + extra for rolling
- Baking powder
- Red gel food coloring
- Green gel food coloring
Notes, Tips and Variations
- After chilling the dough but before you bake it, roll it in holiday colored sprinkles or nonpareils. This will give the outside of the cookies more Christmas flair!
- You don’t have to use gel food coloring, but it is much easier to work with than normal food coloring.
- You can make different colored pinwheels for different holidays! Orange and black for Halloween, Green and White for St. Patrick’s Day, etc….
- These make great gifts! Get some festive bags and wrap them up to give to neighbors, friends and family.
I hope you enjoy these Christmas Pinwheel Cookies and have the happiest of Holidays!
Christmas Pinwheel Cookies
- 2 sticks softened unsalted butter about ½ cup
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 cups all-purpose flour + extra for rolling
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- ½ tsp red gel food coloring
- ¼ tsp green gel food coloring
In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat together butter and granulated sugar.
Once butter and sugar are well combined, add eggs and vanilla and mix some more.
Next, add flour, baking powder and salt. Mix until cookie dough forms.
Divide the cookie dough into two equal halves. Color one half with red gel food coloring and the other with green gel food coloring. Knead each dough half until they’re both completely tinted.
Sprinkle a working surface with flour. As well, add flour onto a rolling pin.
Begin by rolling out the green cookie dough into a rectangular shape, until it’s slightly larger than 6 in x 9 in. Set aside.
Do the same for the red cookie dough and press it on top of the green cookie dough.
With a paring knife, trim the cookie dough so that it’s exactly a rectangular shape, 6 in x 9 in.
Rolling lengthwise (so from the thinner end), roll the layered cookie dough into a log.
Wrap it in plastic and refrigerate for one hour.
Remove the cookie log from the fridge once time is up. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F and line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.
Cut out 12 cookie slices from the log, about ½ an inch thick. Line them up on the lined baking sheet.
Bake for 9 to 11 minutes. Serve and enjoy!