Perfect as a zesty side dish or a fun appetizer, these Smashed Brussels Sprouts are tossed with garlic, cheese, oil and just a pinch of heat. Super easy to make, elevate your roasted vegetable dishes with this delicious recipe. They are crispy outside and tender inside and will make believers out of even the harshest of Brussel Sprouts Skeptics!
Why You Will Love Smashed Brussels Sprouts
- EASY – With just 3 ingredients and a couple minutes of prep, this is an awesome recipe to make for any occasion!
- VERSATILE – I love how they can be used as a side dish, an appetizer or a snack! And they are equally at home as a holiday dish and a healthy game day snack!
What Are Smashed Brussels Sprouts?
Smashed Brussels Sprouts are when you take the combination of blanching (or parboiling) them them and then roasting them to crispy perfection! In between these two methods of cooking, you’ll smash them down. Why smash them? This gives them more of an area to have all the seasoning and parmesan cheese to stick to! And it gets them that nice, crispy caramelized texture that you and your guests will love!
Health Benefits of Brussels Sprouts
I think Brussels Sprouts make a great side dish because there is a bit of an exotic look them. They are also easy to cook and they are very healthy for you. Did you know that Brussels Sprouts are packed with Vitamins A, C and K and can give you a great helping of Omega-3 Fatty Acids (the good fat!)? They are also a great source of fiber to help you keep a healthy gut and there have also been some studies that say they can reduce the risk of certain cancers!
SMASHED BRUSSELS SPROUTS RECIPE?
This recipe for Smashed Brussels Sprouts makes a great side dish because they are so easy to make, look great on your plate and taste even better! And, just like so many recipes here on Bubba Pie, you probably already have a lot of these ingredients in your kitchen!
- BRUSSELS SPROUTS – You want nice, fresh Brussels Sprouts. They should be VERY green and nice and firm. If you see any brown, or wilted leaves, move on.
- OLIVE OIL – This is where you’ll get that nice, crispy caramelized texture. I LOVE EVOO!
- SEASONINGS – You’ll need parmesan cheese, garlic powder and just a pinch of cayenne powder. The cayenne gives them just a little bit of heat that I love. Then, you can salt and pepper to taste.
Notes, Tips and Variations
- DOUBLE RECIPE – This recipe makes about 15-16 Smashed Brussels Sprouts, but you can certainly double this if you have a larger crowd to feed.
- HOW TO SMASH YOUR SPROUTS! – We used the bottom of a glass mason jar to smash our Brussels Sprouts, but you can probably use anything on hand that you think will work well!
- NO MOISTURE – Make sure that you REALLY dry off the vegetables after steaming them so that they won’t get too soggy and soft while you roast them in the oven! Pat them thoroughly! This is important. It’s tough to get things nice and crispy when there is moisture involved.
- DRIZZLE DRIZZLE! – If you want to dress them up even more, it may be fun to lightly drizzle some ranch dressing or even balsamic vinaigrette over your Smashed Brussels Sprouts.
- BOIL – You can also parboil your brussel sprouts. Bring water to a boil and boil them for about 10 minutes, or just until they begin to soften.
Items To Help With This Recipe
LOOKING FOR MORE BRUSSEL SPROUTS RECIPES? CHECK OUT:
I hope you enjoy the recipe. Let me know how it turned out for you in the comments!
smashed brussel sprouts
- 1/2 pound fresh brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- Steam fresh brussels sprouts for 10 minutes. Gently toss onto paper towels to dry.
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add oil, cheese, garlic powder, cayenne and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix. Toss brussels sprouts into bowl and mix well to coat.
- Place onto prepared baking sheet and use the bottom of a glass or mason jar to mash sprouts.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Serve immediately.