Perfect as a zesty side dish or a fun appetizer, these Smashed Brussels Sprouts are tossed with garlic, cheese, oil and just a pinch of heat. Super easy to make, elevate your vegetable dishes with this delicious recipe.
I feel like Brussels Sprouts have had a renaissance in the past 10 years. At least they have in our household. They have gone from those weird looking, strong smelling green balls with a weird name to one of our favorite vegetables. I think they key to Brussels Sprouts (just like the key to lots of vegetables) is how you season them and cook them. I like my Brussels Sprouts roasted nice and crispy on the outside. I like them with a nice strong flavoring and seasoning. I also really like them wrapped in bacon! But who doesn’t like things wrapped in bacon?
Why Eat Brussels Sprouts?
I think Brussels Sprouts make a great side dish because there is a bit of an exotic look them. They are also easy to cook and they are very healthy for you. Did you know that Brussels Sprouts are packed with Vitamins A, C and K and can give you a great helping of Omega-3 Fatty Acids (the good fat!)? They are also a great source of fiber to help you keep a healthy gut and there have also been some studies that say they can reduce the risk of certain cancers!
What Is The Best Way To Cook Brussels Sprouts?
This is where Brussels Sprouts usually get their bad name. If they are simply boiled or steamed with no seasonings, they turn into mushy, flavorless balls of green. No good! In the past, I’ve found that roasting Brussels Sprouts is the best way to get that nice and crispy outside with a tender, soft inside. But, lately, I’ve found an even better way to prepare them: Smashed Brussels Sprouts!
What Are Smashed Brussels Sprouts?
Smashed Brussels Sprouts are when you take the combination of blanching them and then roasting them to crispy perfection! In between these two methods of cooking, you’ll smash them down. Why smash them? This gives them more of an area to have all the seasoning and parmesan cheese to stick to!
What Ingredients Will You Need?
This recipe for Smashed Brussels Sprouts makes a great side dish because they are so easy to make, look great on your plate and taste even better! And, just like so many recipes here on Bubba Pie, you probably already have a lot of these ingredients in your kitchen!
Notes, Tips and Variations
- This recipe makes about 15-16 Smashed Brussels Sprouts, but you can certainly double this if you have a larger crowd to feed.
- We used the bottom of a glass mason jar to smash our Brussels Sprouts, but you can probably use anything on hand that you think will work well!
- Make sure that you REALlY dry off the vegetables after steaming them so that they won’t get too soggy and soft while you roast them in the oven! This is important.
- If you want to dress them up even more, it may be fun to lightly drizzle some ranch dressing or even balsamic vinaigrette over your Smashed Brussels Sprouts.
I hope you enjoy the recipe. Let me know how it turned out for you in the comments!
smashed brussel sprouts
- 1/2 pound fresh brussels sprouts
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- pinch cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper
- Steam fresh brussels sprouts for 10 minutes. Gently toss onto paper towels to dry.
- Preheat oven to 400 and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl, add oil, cheese, garlic powder, cayenne and mix well.
- Season with salt and pepper and mix. Toss brussels sprouts into bowl and mix well to coat.
- Place onto prepared baking sheet and use the bottom of a glass or mason jar to mash sprouts.
- Bake for 15 minutes. Serve immediately.
This recipe makes about 15-16 Smashed Brussel Sprouts, but you can certainly double this if you have a larger crowd to feed. We used the bottom of a glass mason jar to smash our Brussel Sprouts, but you can probably use anything on hand that you think will work well! Just make sure that you really dry off the vegetables after steaming them so that they won't get too soggy and soft while you roast them in the oven!
If you want to dress them up even more, it may be fun to lightly drizzle some ranch dressing or even balsamic vinaigrette over your Smashed Brussel Sprouts.