This Rocky Road Cupcakes Recipe is loaded with rich chocolate, gooey marshmallow and crunchy pecans for a dessert that is out of this world! Looking for a fun and easy new cupcake recipe? You’ve come to the right place. You gotta check these out!
Looking For A Fun And Easy Cupcake Recipe?
Cupcakes are awesome dessert recipes for so many occasions! From birthdays, to pitch-ins to holiday parties. They are easy to make, easy to share and easy to eat. And there are so many different things that you can do with them. Here at Bubba Pie, we are no stranger to awesome cupcake recipes. From these fresh and zesty Lemon Blueberry Cupcakes to these rich but gluten free Red Velvet Cupcakes, we are huge cupcake fans here!
Chocolate and Marshmallow? Yes Please!
Chocolate and peanut butter together is delicious. Chocolate and banana? Love it! A nice dark chocolate with a glass of red wine? One of my favorite things in the world! There are so many things you can pair with chocolate. One of these things is chocolate and marshmallow.
We used to go to a fondue place about once a year. We loved their dessert chocolate fondue, where they would bring out all sorts of things to dip in the melted chocolate. One of my favorite things to drench in the chocolate was always marshmallow. So, we thought we’d pair the two of these things together in a cupcake recipe. Check out these Rocky Road Cupcakes!
What Is Rocky Road?
Rocky Road is a famous flavor of ice cream that combines chocolate, marshmallows and nuts (originally walnuts). The story is that it was developed right after the Great Depression and the name was given to make light of the “Rocky” times that everyone was going through. Through the years, the recipe has been evolved and improvised a bit with the adding of chocolate chips, using pecans or almonds and swirling in Vanilla Ice Cream too! I’ve always loved Rocky Road Ice Cream, so was super pumped to try out some Rocky Road Cupcakes.
What Ingredients Will You Need For Rocky Road Cupcakes?
Pretty simple stuff here! Just how we like it at Bubba Pie!
- Large marshmallows
- Unsalted butter, softened
- Confectioners’ sugar
- Cocoa Powder
- Pecans, chopped
- Miniature marshmallows, cut into small pieces
Notes And Variations
- Make sure you let your cupcakes cool before cutting the cavity in them.
- Spruce them up with a drizzle of chocolate! White chocolate could work too!
- There is nothing wrong with chocolate sprinkles either!
- Not a fan of Pecans? Try sliced almonds or crushed Walnuts.
I hope you enjoy this delicious recipe for Rocky Road Cupcakes. Please let me know how they turned out in the comments!
And we have a TON of other great dessert recipes to check out for just about any occasion. Enjoy!
Rocky Road Cupcakes Recipe
- 12 large marshmallows
- 1 cup unsalted butter softened
- 4 cups confectioners’ sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 2-3 tbsp milk
- ½ cup pecans chopped
- 1/3 cup miniature marshmallows cut into small pieces
- Prepare chocolate cupcake batter according to the box’s directions.
- Pour into a lined muffin tin, filling each section about 2/3 of the way. Bake according to the box’s directions.
- Remove from oven but don’t turn off oven’s heat. Using a paring knife, carve out a cavity in the center of each cupcake, about 1 inch in diameter and ½ an inch deep.
- Insert one large marshmallow into each cavity and bake cupcakes for an additional 5 minutes. Allow to cool before decorating.
- In a large bowl, mix together butter, confectioners’ sugar, cocoa powder and milk with an electric mixer. Start on low speed and gradually increase to high.
- Scoop chocolate buttercream into a piping bag with Wilton tip #21 attached.
- Frost each cupcake generously.
- Top off with chopped pecans and miniature marshmallow pieces. Serve and enjoy!
Spruce them up with a drizzle of chocolate! White chocolate could work too!
There is nothing wrong with chocolate sprinkles either!
Not a fan of Pecans? Try sliced almonds or crushed Walnuts.