This Mint Hot Chocolate Bomb Recipe is easy to make and so much fun to watch an ordinary mug of warm milk become a delicious winter treat! Read below to see why these Hot Chocolate Bombs are all the rage this winter. Great as gifts or just to enjoy all yourself!
LOOKING FOR MORE CHOCOLATE DECADENCE? CHECK OUT:
- CHOCOLATE BOURBON BALLS
- CHOCOLATE BELGIAN BEER CUPCAKES
- CHOCOLATE MOUSSE CHEESECAKE
- SALTED CARAMEL CHOCOLATE COOKIES
What Is A Hot Chocolate Bomb?
This is one of the recipes that seems to have come out of nowhere, but now everyone wants one. Yes, you can buy them at the store, but they can be tricky to find in stock! A Hot Chocolate Bomb is a sphere of chocolate that is filled with hot cocoa mix and other fun ingredients. You can introduce it to a warm cup of milk and the the chocolate melts, turning your mug into a decadent hot chocolate drink!
But you don’t need to scour the stores looking for these. Now you can make them in your own kitchen and it’s super easy! Plus, there are so many different kinds you can make! But today, we are going to create one of my favorite flavor combos with this Mint Hot Chocolate Bomb Recipe!
Mint Hot Chocolate Bomb Recipe
First of all, let’s talk about the ingredients you’ll need:
- 1 12-ounce package dark chocolate chips– You are going to be melting these. Some recipes call for fine, quality chocolate that is tempered. This will give your bombs a more sturdy, shiny finish that is less prone to melting. If that is route you want to go, there are a ton of websites to show you how to do this. We are all about easy and simple and feel melting chocolate chips is the way to go. Candy melts can also be used, and may be more sturdy than melted chips. But they sacrifice some flavor.
- 1 packet instant cocoa mix– Any kind/brand will do!
- 1 cup mini marshmallows– Store bought mini marshmallow are fine. I’ve heard that using dehydrated marshmallow (the kind in your cereal!) are even better. I couldn’t find those.
- 1/3 cup mint baking chips– You should be able to find some Andes Baking Chips at your grocery store. If you are in a pinch, you can probably just dice up some Andes Candy.
- 6 cups hot milk– Yep. Gonna need to combine with Milk for hot chocolate!
- Round silicone mold– You will need this for this Hot Chocolate Bomb Recipe. They are easy to find on Amazon and I recommend having some laying around you kitchen. There is a ton you can do with them.
Ideas For Hot Chocolate Bombs
We love this recipe because there are so many things you can do with them. They are great to make with kids on a cold, winter day. They also make fantastic Christmas gifts for friends, neighbors and family.
Notes, Tips and Variations
- Putting It All Together- The trickiest part of this whole process is putting the two halves together. If your hand feels to shaky to use the piping bag (or you don’t have a piping bag!), don’t worry. Another good method is to heat up a plate until it’s warm. Press the edges of one half of your sphere onto the warm surface until it starts melting. Then just press it put against another sphere!
- Too Dark?- Not a fan of dark chocolate? No worries, you can use any sort of chocolate you want for this Hot Chocolate Bomb Recipe!
- Toppings- Top with whipped cream, chocolate drizzle, more mint candies or more marshmallows!
I hope you enjoy this Mint Hot Chocolate Bomb Recipe. Please let me know how it turns out in the comments section.
Mint Hot Chocolate Bomb Recipe
- 1 12- ounce package dark chocolate chips
- 1 packet instant cocoa mix
- 1 cup mini marshmallows
- 1/3 cup mint baking chips Andes mint chips
- 6 cups hot milk to make the bombs
- Round silicone mold
Place the dark chocolate chips in a microwave safe bowl and microwave in 30 second intervals, stirring between each interval, until the chocolate chips are fully melted.
Put a spoonful of melted chocolate inside one cup on the silicone mold and use the back of the spoon to spread the chocolate up the sides of the mold. Continue this process until all the molds are coated.
Set the remaining chocolate aside for sealing and decorating the bombs.
Allow the chocolate to set completely, around 2 to 3 hours. You can speed up the process by placing the chocolate in the refrigerator.
When the chocolate is set, remove each of the chocolate pieces from the mold. Add a small amount of instant hot cocoa mix to half the pieces and top the hot cocoa mix with mint baking chips and marshmallows.
Reheat the chocolate in 15 second intervals until melted. Pick up an empty chocolate piece and dip the edges into the melted chocolate. Carefully place it on top of a filled piece and lightly press it into place. Use your finger to smooth melted chocolate around the seam. Continue until all the chocolate bombs are sealed.
Melt the white chocolate chips in 15 second intervals until melted, then place the remaining chocolate in a piping bag. Drizzle the chocolate over the top of the bombs and decorate with remaining mint pieces.
Allow the chocolate decorations to set before using, around 1 hour.
To make the hot chocolate bombs, place the bomb in the bottom of a mug. Pour one cup of hot milk over the top of the bomb to melt the chocolate. When the chocolate is completely melted, stir to combine.