Why You Will Love This Recipe
- FUN – Sure, everyone loves Key Lime Pie, but these Key Lime Cupcakes pack all the delicious flavors of that famous dessert into a bite sized treat!
- EASY TO SHARE – This is a “grab and go” dessert, perfect for sharing with a crowd! A great dessert recipe for picnics, cookouts, BBQs or any fun summer get-together.
- DELICIOUS – Light and fluffy and not too sweet, we think these cupcakes have the perfect lime flavor without being overpowering. A bright, delicious citrus flavor that makes every bite taste like summer!
- EASY TO MAKE – Our recipe uses to ultimate shortcut in baking: Cake Mix! This cake mix recipe is quick and easy to make! So no need for any flour!
Key Lime Cupcakes
For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started!
- LEMON CAKE MIX – Lemon cake mix can be hard to find. If you can’t find it, you can substitute for another cake mix. White, yellow or vanilla could work. We’ve also used Lemon Pound Cake Mix in a pinch. The cupcakes were still delicious, they just came out a little denser.
- LIME GELATIN – One small, 3 ounce box.
- WATER –
- VEGETABLE OIL – We love baking cupcakes with vegetable oil as it really helps keep the results super moist!
- KEY LIMES – In total, you’ll need about 2/3 cups of key lime juice, so make sure you buy enough, depending on the size and look of them in your grocery store. If you can’t find key limes, you can order the juice online. Or, you can also just use regular limes.
- 3 LARGE EGGS – Make sure you get your eggs to room temperature for best results.
- GREEN FOOD COLORING – If desired to give your cupcakes a green tint.
- POWDERED SUGAR – Also called Confectioners Sugar.
- LIME JUICE –
- CREAM CHEESE – One 8 oz package. Make sure you soften it or it will be really hard to work with.
- BUTTER – Make sure you soften your butter too. You can use salted butter or unsalted butter.
KEY LIME JUICE –
- POWDERED SUGAR –
- LIME PEEL – Use a grater to use key lime zest as a garnish if desired. We recommend zesting your limes BEFORE you juice them.
Do You Need Salt In This Recipe?
Some Key Lime Cupcake Recipes do add salt. This is usually because they use Key Lime Extract, and the salt helps balance that out. Because we aren’t using Key Lime Extract, our cupcakes aren’t quite as “potent” as some of the other recipes. We are going for a gentle, more subtle Key Lime Flavor. But if you want to add a little salt to balance that out, go for it. You could also just use salted butter.
Storage, Freezing Key Lime Cupcakes
Store leftovers in your refrigerator in an Airtight Container. They should be good in your fridge for about 5 days.
I would not freeze these cupcakes, as the cream cheese frosting may separate a bit when defrosted.
Items To Help With This Recipe
We hope you enjoy this Key Lime Cupcake Recipe. Please let us know how it turns out in the comments! We’d love to hear from you. Happy Eating!
LOOKING FOR MORE CUPCAKE RECIPES? CHECK OUT:
Key Lime Cupcakes
- 1 box 15.25 oz, lemon cake mix
- 1 small box 3 oz, lime gelatin
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup key lime juice
- 3 eggs
- green food coloring if desired
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2-1/2 teaspoons key lime juice
- 1 package 8 oz, cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon key lime juice
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- lime peel if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 and line 24 muffin tins with paper muffin cups. Set aside.
- Beat together cake mix, gelatin, water, oil, lime juice, eggs and food coloring.
- Beat on low to combine ingredients and then on high for 2 minutes until smooth.
- Using a 3 tablespoon portion scoop, scoop batter into prepared muffin cups.
- Bake for 20-22 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes before glazing. Using a wood skewer, poke 5-6 holes into each cupcake. Mix together glaze ingredients until thin enough to drizzle.
- Drizzle glaze on top of each cupcake. Let stand to cool completely before icing.
- Add cream cheese and butter to a mixing bowl and beat together.
- Add lime juice and powdered sugar and beat well for 2-3 minutes or until fluffy and icing consistency.
- Place icing in a pastry bag fitted with a large tip and pipe icing onto each cupcake.
- Top with grated lime peels if desired.