These Garlic Smashed Potatoes with bacon make an awesome side dish or appetizer. They only take a handful of ingredients, take minutes to prepare and they are loaded with butter, garlic and bacon flavors! They are a great idea for holidays or any time of year!
Why You Will Love Garlic Smashed Potatoes
- DELICIOUS – When you “smash” your baked potatoes, they turn out nice and crispy on the outside but super soft inside! They are are sort of like a homemade potato skin, but better!
- EASY – With just a few common pantry staples and a couple minutes of preparation, this is an easy dish to prepare! This makes it perfect for busy holiday kitchens!
- VERSATILE – Equally awesome for a game day snack, an appetizer or a perfect side dish for the Holidays, these Smashed Potatoes can be used for about any occasion!
What Are Smashed Potatoes?
So, why would you smash your potatoes? How are they different than Mashed Potatoes? These are questions my 11-year-old asked me when I told him what I was making. We’ve all had Mashed Potatoes before, this is where you mash up a whole bunch of potatoes in a large bowl and serve individual portions with a spoon. Smashed Potatoes are individual potatoes that are each smashed down. So you have single, small “potato bites” that can be eaten with a fork or handheld! Just like Mashed Potatoes, there are lots of ways you can dress these up. But we are gonna keep it pretty simple: Butter, Garlic and Bacon. Because you really can’t do any better than butter, garlic and bacon!
Smashed Potatoes Recipe
So, ready to make some Smashed Potatoes? Check out the recipe card for step-by-step instructions. Here is what you will need to get started:
- Yellow or gold petite or baby potatoes
- Fresh Garlic Cloves
- Onion powder
- Olive oil
- Parmesan cheese for garnish
- Green onions or parsley for garnish
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- SMASHING- It took me a bit to get the “smashing” part down so that the potatoes formed a circle and looked cute. I used a larger serving fork and smashed the potato halfway, turned it 45 degrees and smashed it the rest of the way. You can also use a potato masher the bottom of a sturdy glass or cup.
- ADDING BUTTER AND OLIVE OIL- Just add the butter and olive oil to the potatoes when they are on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Just drizzle it all on there and mix the potatoes up in them. This is easy and it lets the potatoes bake in a small pool of all the good stuff!
- DO YOU NEED TO PEEL THE POTATOES FIRST? – Nope! That is one of the best things about this easy recipe! The skins can stay on!
- EXTRA CRISPY BACON- Make sure you bacon is extra crispy. Everyone has their own way of cooking bacon. But this recipe is best with the bacon nice and crispy. And, we love thick cut bacon for breakfast, but for this recipe, thinner bacon is better.
I hope you enjoy this recipe for Smashed Potatoes. Bring them to your next Thanksgiving dinner or holiday celebration! They are easy to make, easy to share and easy to eat, the perfect handheld dish! Let me know how they turned out for you in the comments!
LOOKING FOR MORE POTATO RECIPES? CHECK OUT:
- ROASTED BRUSSELS SPROUTS AND SWEET POTATOES
- CHEESY SCALLOPED POTATOES AND HAM
- RANCH ROASTED POTATOES
- POTATOES AU GRATIN
- SCALLOPED POTATOES
- TWICE BAKED RED POTATOES
Garlic and Bacon Smashed Potatoes
- 1 lb yellow or gold petite or baby potatoes
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 tsp onion powder
- t tbsp butter
- 4 slices of bacon
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- salt to taste
- parmesan cheese for garnish
- green onions or parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Boil potatoes for about 20 minutes, or until they are tender when you stick a fork in them.
- While Potatoes are cooking, cook bacon in desired method until extra crispy.
- Once Potatoes are cooked, line them up on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Drizzle with olive oil and melted butter. Mix them up and make sure they are all evenly coated.
- Using a large fork or masher, smash the potatoes until they are thin.
- Sprinkle with garlic powder and salt as desired.
- Bake in oven for 15-20 minutes, or until the outside starts getting golden and crispy.
- Top with Bacon, Parmesan Cheese and Green Onion or Parsley. Serve immediately.