This Cream of Mushroom Chicken recipe is a delightful dish that combines tender, pan-seared chicken breasts with a luscious cream of mushroom sauce. It’s a comforting and flavorful meal that’s both elegant and easy to prepare.
Why You Will Love Cream of Mushroom Chicken
- RICH AND CREAMY FLAVOR – The creamy mushroom sauce is rich, savory, and packed with umami flavors from the mushrooms. It adds depth and complexity to the dish.
- VERSATILE – Cream of Mushroom Chicken is versatile and pairs well with various side dishes, such as rice, pasta, mashed potatoes or vegetables. Just serve it with whatever you have in the kitchen on a busy weekday night!
- EASY – Despite its gourmet-like taste, it’s relatively easy to prepare, which makes it suitable for both everyday dinners and special occasions.
- CUSTUMIZABLE – You can personalize the recipe by adding herbs, spices, or additional ingredients like spinach or sun-dried tomatoes to suit your taste.
Cream of Mushroom Chicken
We love how elegant and fancy this dinner looks and tastes while it’s also so simple and easy to prepare! Really just 5 common, inexpensive ingredient and a couple minutes of prep! For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started:
- BONELESS SKINLESS CHICKEN BREASTS – You can use boneless skinless chicken thighs if you’d like.
- ITALIAN SEASONING – Any brand will work. Or you can blend your own pretty easily.
- CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP – Any brand.
- SOUR CREAM – You can use low fat sour cream if you’d like to lighten this dish up a bit.
- SLICED MUSHROOMS – Make sure you drain them before you add them.
- SALT AND PEPPER – If desired. To taste.
- PARSLEY – For a garnish if desired.
Storage, Leftovers and Freezing
Store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator. Leftovers should be good for about 3-4 days. You can reheat in the oven at 350 degrees for about 10 minutes. Or you can microwave it.
I would not freeze Cream of Mushroom Chicken. As it thaws, the creamy sauce will lose it’s consistency.
Easy Variations To Cream of Mushroom Chicken
- ADD SPINACH – Stir in some fresh or frozen spinach to this recipe for some add color, flavor, texture and vitamins!
- ADD BACON – You could either cut up some crispy bacon and add it to the sauce. Or wrap the chicken in bacon. Yum!
- ADDITIONS TO THE SAUCE – Add Marsala wine sauce, Dijon Mustard or Cream of Chicken Soup to the sauce.
- ADD VEGGIES – Add broccoli, tomatoes, sun dried tomatoes, onions or cauliflower to make this a little more hearty.
We hope you enjoy this Cream of Mushroom Chicken Recipe. Let us know how it turns out in the comment section! Happy eating!
CHECK OUT OUR ROUNDUP OF EASY CHICKEN COMFORT FOOD RECIPES!
Cream of Mushroom Chicken
- 3 to 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 10.5 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 can sliced mushrooms drained
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees and grease a baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Arrange the chicken in the baking dish and season with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper.
- Stir together the cream of mushroom soup, sour cream, and sliced mushrooms.
- Pour the mixture over the top of the chicken.
- Bake in the preheated oven for 30 minutes, until the sauce is bubbly and the chicken is cooked through.