These BBQ Chicken Nachos have tender shredded chicken tossed in tangy BBQ Sauce. Topped with onions and peppers and loads of cheese and then melted on a sheet pan in your oven, you’ve got to try this delicious appetizer, snack or game day dish!
Why You Will Love BBQ Chicken Nachos
- EASY – Really, the most time consuming part is cooking your chicken. But you can buy canned chicken for the ultimate shortcut! After that, just load on all your desired topping and let your oven do the work.
- VERSATILE – Great for any occasion and super easy to share with friends or family! You can pile these nachos with whatever you want or whatever you have leftover around your fridge or pantry!
BBQ Chicken Nachos
I love this recipe because it is so easy to make, especially when you use your instant pot! Just cook the chicken, shred it, pile it on some tortilla chips and load it with whatever you want! In our case, we put cheese, yellow onion, red bell pepper, guacamole and sour cream. Here is our list of full ingredients, but you can check out our printable recipe car for step-by-s
- CHICKEN – Cook boneless skinless chicken breasts in whatever way you’d like. Or buy a rotisserie chicken and just pull the meat off. Or use canned chicken.
- TORTILLA CHIPS – Everyone has their own preference for tortilla chips.
- BBQ SAUCE – Again, your choice. Use sweeter Barbeque Sauce or some spicer sauce for a little kick.
- LIME JUICE – Optional. We think it gives the sauce a little extra zip.
- CUMIN – Again, optional. In fact, your BBQ sauce may already have some cumin in it.
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- ONION – Diced. We used Yellow Onion for it’s milder, sweeter flavor. But you can use Red Onion if you’d like.
- BELL PEPPERS – Any color you prefer. We love Red!
- SHREDDED CHEDDAR CHEESE – We ALWAYS recommend shredding our own cheese from a block of cheese rather than buying the pre-shredded cheese. It will melt much better.
Add some fresh toppings like chopped cilantro, green onions, corn, diced roma tomato or avocado. Or drizzle some extra BBQ sauce on top. Add black beans too if you’d like!
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- No Instant Pot?- We have instructions below for how to cook the chicken in your Instant Pot. No pressure cooker? No problem! You can bake your boneless skinless chicken breasts in the oven. Just put them in the middle rack and bake them at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes. Or, just buy the pre-cooked canned chicken!
- Explore with Cheese- We kept it pretty simple with Cheddar Cheese for this recipe. But using some other cheeses could work if that sounds good to. Monterey Jack cheese would be tasty. Swiss cheese tastes great with BBQ chicken. Or try some Pepper Jack Cheese to give it a little kick!
- Add Bacon- The sweetness of the BBQ with some salty crunchiness of bacon would be amazing!
I hope you enjoy this BBQ Chicken Nachos Recipe. Let me know how they turned out for you in the comments!
BBQ Chicken Nachos
- 1 bag tortillas
- 2 skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 cup barbeque sauce
- Lime juice from half a lime about 1 tbsp
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- ½ red bell pepper de-seeded and diced
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Guacamole and sour cream for dipping
- To cook chicken breasts, you can prepare it in an Instant Pot. Start by adding 1 cup water to the Instant Pot, followed by the chicken breasts. Attach lid and set on manual high for 10 minutes. Allow for a 5 minute NPR. Remove cooked chicken breasts and shred.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a aluminum-lined baking sheet with cooking oil. Add tortilla chips.
- Add shredded chicken, BBQ sauce, lime juice, cumin and salt and pepper to a saucepan and combine over medium heat, stirring for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken mixture over on top of the tortilla chips. Garnish with onion and red bell pepper.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Serve with favorite sauces like guacamole or sour cream.