Perfect for the big game, hosting a party or just a fun dinner, these BBQ Chicken Nachos are soooo tasty! Tender shredded chicken is tossed in tangy BBQ Sauce, topped with onions and peppers and loads of cheese and then melted on a sheet pan in your oven. You’ve got to try these!
I love it when we can take two wonderful dishes and merge them together into one, new hybrid meal (Totchos anyone?!?!). We’ve shared a couple of these recipes on our website. For instance, we’ve got these Bloody Mary Deviled Eggs that take a popular drink and merge it with a classic appetizer. We’ve also made this Jalapeno Popper Chicken Casserole, taking a fun appetizer dish and merging it with a chicken casserole. When you take two delicious things and merge them into one, you often get very tasty results.
So, we thought we’d do that again by taking BBQ chicken and making nachos out of them. And, let me tell you, BBQ Chicken Nachos did NOT disappoint!
BBQ Chicken Nachos
I love this recipe because it is so easy to make, especially when you use your instant pot! Just cook the chicken, shred it, pile it on some tortilla chips and load it with whatever you want! In our case, we put cheese, yellow onion, red bell pepper, guacamole and sour cream. But you can top it with whatever you want, that is half the fun. But here is what you will need to get started:
- Cooking spray
- Tortilla Chips
- Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- Barbeque sauce
- Lime juice
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Yellow onion, diced
- Red bell pepper, de-seeded and diced
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Guacamole and sour cream, for dipping
An Awesome Appetizer
While I would have absolutely have no problem eating these for lunch or dinner (ok, and for breakfast), these BBQ Chicken Nachos shine brightest as an appetizer. They are super easy to share and would look great on a spread for all your guests. They are super easy to share for a large crowd too, you guests can just take what they need and put it on their plates! If you are looking for more appetizers that are great for a crowd, you can also check out our Buffalo Chicken Fries, Bacon Wrapped Brussels Sprouts or our Velveeta Rotel Dip.
Notes, Tips and Variations
- No Instant Pot?- We have instructions below for how to cook the chicken in your Instant Pot. No pressure cooker? No problem! You can bake your boneless skinless chicken breasts in the oven. Just put them in the middle rack and bake them at 400 degrees for about 20 minutes.
- Explore with Cheese- We kept it pretty simple with Cheddar Cheese for this recipe. But using some other cheeses could work if that sounds good to. Monterey Jack would be tasty. Swiss cheese tastes great with BBQ chicken. Or try some Pepper Jack Cheese to give it a little kick!
- Add Bacon- The sweetness of the BBQ with some salty crunchiness of bacon would be “spectabulous”. Spectabulous is my daughter’s word.
- Fresh Toppings- Add fresh cilantro or fresh green onions on top for some extra color and taste!
I hope you enjoy this recipe for BBQ Chicken Nachos. Let me know how they turned out for you in the comments!
BBQ Chicken Nachos
- 1 bag tortillas
- 2 skinless chicken breasts cooked and shredded
- 1 cup barbeque sauce
- Lime juice from half a lime about 1 tbsp
- 1 tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 small yellow onion diced
- ½ red bell pepper de-seeded and diced
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- Guacamole and sour cream for dipping
To cook chicken breasts, you can prepare it in an Instant Pot. Start by adding 1 cup water to the Instant Pot, followed by the chicken breasts. Attach lid and set on manual high for 10 minutes. Allow for a 5 minute NPR. Remove cooked chicken breasts and shred.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a aluminum-lined baking sheet with cooking oil. Add tortilla chips.
- Add shredded chicken, BBQ sauce, lime juice, cumin and salt and pepper to a saucepan and combine over medium heat, stirring for 10 minutes.
- Add chicken mixture over on top of the tortilla chips. Garnish with onion and red bell pepper.
- Sprinkle cheese on top.
- Bake for 10 minutes. Serve with favorite sauces like guacamole or sour cream.