This Honey Sesame Chicken is an easy, delicious Asian inspired recipe with crispy chicken tossed in a sweet, savory sauce.
Why You Will Love Honey Sesame Chicken
- IT’S BETTER THAN TAKE OUT! – Panda Express Honey Sesame Chicken is one of their most popular menu items. But, who knows what they actually put in that dish! This Honey Sesame Chicken is a quick, easy and delicious home cooked meal. And when you make it in your own kitchen, it’s most certainly healthier with real, wholesome ingredients!
- DELICIOUS – The chicken cooks up nice and crispy on the outside, but soft and tender inside. And the honey sesame sauce has a deep, savory flavor that tastes great with the white rice and sesame seeds!
Honey Sesame Chicken Recipe
This recipe is so easy! And you don’t even need to worry about deep frying! This recipe use a “shallow fry” or “pan fry” technique that you don’t need any special equipment for! For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started:
INGREDIENTS FOR THE CHICKEN
- CHICKEN – Boneless Skinless Chicken Breasts cut into about 1 inch pieces. You can also you Chicken Thighs. Or even boneless pork or steak.
- EGGS – Beaten. Used to dredge your chicken.
- FLOUR – Any kind of A/P flour will work.
- CORNSTARCH – This really helps gives your chicken a crispy coating.
- SALT AND PEPPER – For some extra flavor on the coating.
- OIL FOR FRYING – You can really use any oil you prefer for frying.
INGREDIENTS FOR THE SAUCE
- VEGETABLE OIL –
- GARLIC – Minced. For a shortcut, you can buy minced garlic in a jar and that will work fine.
- HONEY – Gives that zappy sweetness to this sauce.
- SOY SAUCE – You can sub for low sodium soy sauce if needed.
- TOMATO SAUCE –
- SESAME OIL –
- CORNSTARCH SLURRY – This is equal part cornstarch and water. It’s used to thicken the sauce up a bit as needed.
- SESAME SEEDS AND GREEN ONIONS – For toppings.
Storage, Leftovers and Freezing
This dish is best served immediately after being cooked. As time passes, the chicken will become less crispy. But you can store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator. You can reheat on the stovetop in a skillet over medium heat. Or even in the microwave. It should be good in your fridge for 3-4 days.
I would not freeze this dish. As it thaws, the chicken could get pretty soggy.
Notes, Tips and FAQs
- WHAT CAN YOU SERVE WITH HONEY SESAME CHICKEN? – This chicken is great to serve over white rice, brown rice, fried rice, noodles or rice noodles.
- CUT CHICKEN INTO EQUAL SIZE PIECES – This will ensure that all the chicken is cooked equally.
- ADD SOME SPICE – Sprinkle some red pepper flakes over this dish before serving.
We hope you enjoy this Honey Sesame Chicken Recipe. We’d love to know how it works out for you in the comment section! Happy Eating!
LOOKING FOR OTHER ASIAN INSPRIED CUISINE? CHECK OUT:
- KOREAN SWEET POTATOES
- SHRIMP MEI FUN
- EMPRESS CHICKEN
- AIR FRYER ORANGE CHICKEN
- AIR FRYER GENERAL TSO’S CHICKEN
Honey Sesame Chicken
FOR THE CHICKEN
- 1 1/2 pounds boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into one-inch pieces
- 2 eggs beaten
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- Salt and Pepper
- Oil for frying
FOR THE SAUCE
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/3 cup soy sauce
- 1/3 cup tomato sauce
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon cold water.
- Sesame seeds and chopped green onion for topping
- Heat the oil over medium heat in a large saucepan.
- Whisk together the eggs, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl.
- Stir together the flour and cornstarch in a separate bowl.
- Dip the chicken pieces in the egg mixture.
- Coat them in the flour mixture. Continue until all the pieces are coated.
- Fry the chicken in the hot oil until the breading is golden brown and crispy. Place the cooked chicken on a paper towel lined plate to drain. Continue cooking until all the pieces have been fried, then set the chicken aside.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a skillet over medium low heat. Add the garlic and saute for one minute. Then add the honey, soy sauce, tomato sauce, sesame oil and cornstarch mixture to the pan. Stir to mix. Bring the sauce to a simmer and allow to cook for 5 to 10 minutes, until thickened.
- Remove from heat and add the chicken to the pan. Toss to coat.
- Serve topped with sesame seeds and chopped green onion.