This Chili Relleno Casserole is full of rich and comforting flavors of the Classic Mexican Dish it’s named after. This simplified vegetarian recipe combines roasted poblano peppers, gooey cheese, and zesty tomato sauce, creating a delightful Tex-Mex fiesta on your plate.
Why You Will Love This Casserole
If you’re a fan of Mexican cuisine, you’ve likely encountered the mouthwatering dish known as Chili Relleno. The classic version consists of roasted poblano peppers stuffed with cheese, dipped in an airy egg batter, and fried to golden perfection. While this traditional dish is undeniably delicious, making it can be a bit labor-intensive. That’s where the Chili Relleno Casserole comes to the rescue! This delectable casserole captures all the flavors of the classic dish without the hassle, making it the perfect addition to your dinner rotation.
Chili Relleno Casserole Recipe
Chili Relleno Casserole is a Tex-Mex twist on the classic Mexican dish. Chili Relleno means “stuffed peppers”. Instead of individually preparing, stuffing and frying each pepper, you’ll layer peppers, cheese, and a flavorful egg mixture in a baking dish. The result is a creamy, cheesy, and slightly spicy casserole that’s perfect for family gatherings, potlucks, or when you’re just craving some comfort food with a kick.
For step-by-step instructions, check out our printable recipe card. But here is what you’ll need to get started:
- CANNED WHOLE GREEN CHILI PEPPERS – Using canned Green Chiles is one of the things that makes this a super easy version of this recipe. If you want to use real roasted Poblano Peppers, see the instructions below.
- MONTEREY JACK CHEESE – Shredded. Or you can use really any Mexican Blend or Taco Blend Cheese you’d like. Or even just use Cheddar Cheese! Or add some Pepper Jack cheese for a little extra spice!
- EGGS – Helps make that trademark sauce that is so delicious about this dish.
- MILK – We used 2% milk. But you can use Skim Milk or Whole Milk if you’d like.
- FLOUR – Any all purpose flour will work. It helps to thicken up the sauce.
- RED ENCHILADA SAUCE – Any brand will work.
- SALT AND PEPPER – To taste.
How To Roast Your Own Poblano Pepper
Here is the easiest way! Turn your oven to the broiler setting. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil and layer sliced Poblano Peppers on it. Put your peppers in the oven and watch them closely. As soon as they begin to char, take them out, flip them over and roast the other side.
Storage, Freezing and Leftovers
Store leftovers in your refrigerator in an airtight container. They should be good for 3-4 days. I would not freeze this casserole. The peppers will get pretty mushy after thawing.
You can reheat leftovers in the microwave.
What To Serve With Chili Relleno Casserole?
This dish goes great with some white or spanish rice on the side. Or some refried beans. For a lighter choice, a simple garden salad would be perfect.
Notes, Variations and FAQs
- CAN YOU MAKE CHILI RELLENO CASSEROLE AHEAD OF TIME? – Yep! You can completely assemble this casserole, cover it and store it in your fridge for up to 24 hours. Just throw it in your oven when you are ready to bake.
- CHILI RELLENO CASSEROLE TOPPINGS – Some great toppings for this casserole could be fresh cilantro, sliced jalapenos, salsa, pico de gallo, diced onions, dollop of sour cream, guacamole, hot sauce, slice olives, sliced avocado or crumbled Queso Fresco.
- IS CHILI RELLENO CASSEROLE GLUTEN FREE? – This casserole could easily be made gluten free by substituting with gluten free flour.
- ADD PROTEINS – Add some sliced chicken, ground beef, chorizo or ground turkey to this dish.
- VEGETARIAN ADD ONS – Add black beans, pinto beans, mushrooms or corn kernels.
- SAUCE VARIATIONS – Try using a green enchilada sauce or a Mole sauce for a different flavor.
- BREAKFAST TWIST – You can easily make leftovers into a delicious breakfast dish by adding a poached or fried egg on top.
The next time you’re craving the flavors of a Chili Relleno but don’t have the time or patience for the traditional preparation, give this Chile Relleno Casserole Recipe a try. It’s a convenient and delightful way to enjoy a Southwestern fiesta right in the comfort of your home.
Chili Relleno Casserole
- 27 oz cans whole green chili peppers drained
- 2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 6 eggs
- ½ cup evaporated milk
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 8 oz can red enchilada sauce
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees and grease an 8x8 baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, evaporated milk, flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Pour the mixture over the top of the peppers.
- Arrange half the green peppers along the bottom of the prepared pan.
- Top with 1/3 of the Monterey Jack cheese.
- Add the remaining peppers and another 1/3 of the cheese to the pan. And add egg and milk mixture.
- Place the pan in the oven to bake for 30 minutes, then remove the pan and spread the enchilada sauce over the top.
- Sprinkle the top of the casserole with the remaining shredded cheese.
- Return the pan to the oven and continue baking for 15 minutes, until the eggs are set and the cheese on top is melted.