Our Chicken à la King recipe is full of classic flavor and timeless tradition. This creamy and savory creation features tender chicken, colorful bell peppers, mushrooms, and a luscious cream sauce, perfect for serving over rice, pasta, or toasted bread for a comforting meal. It’s total comfort food all the way!
Why You Will Love This Recipe
- EASY RECIPE: With simple ingredients and an easy, straight-forward recipe, this recipe is perfect for cooks of any skill level. Or a wholesome, satisfying meal for any night of the week!
- VERSATILE: Whether served over rice, pasta, biscuits, or toast, Chicken A La King can be tailored to suit various tastes and preferences.
- KID FRIENDLY: With approachable colors and flavors, this is great, hearty and wholesome meal to feed even fussy eaters, with some veggies hidden in there!
- COMFORTING CLASSIC: Chicken à la King is a beloved classic full of nostalgia, making it a perfect, comforting, home-cooked meal.
Chicken A La King Recipe
- BUTTER – We used unsalted butter.
- GREEN PEPPER – Diced. You can really use any color of bell pepper that you’d like.
- MUSHROOMS – Sliced. You can really use any kind of mushrooms that are easy to slice.
- FLOUR – This helps make the creamy, thick sauce in the dish.
- SALT AND PEPPER – To taste.
- MILK – We used 2% milk. But you can use low fat milk to lighten this dish up a bit. Or even half and half to make it a little heavier and creamier.
- CHICKEN BROTH – You can use vegetable broth is that is all you have.
- CHICKEN – Cooked. You can serve this with shredded, cubed or chopped chicken. For a super short cut, you can buy a cooked rotisserie chicken at the store.
- PIMIENTOS – Diced and drained.
- COOKED RICE – For serving.
- FRESH PARSLEY – Optionally for garnish.
What Else Can You Serve With Chicken A La King
We serve ours over rice. But Chicken A La King is delicious over egg noodles (really any noodles or pasta), mashed potatoes, biscuits, puff pastry or toast! Serve it with a simple side salad for a delicious, nutritious meal!
Leftovers, Storage and Freezing
You can store leftovers in an airtight container in your refrigerator. You can reheat just fine in a microwave. Leftovers should be good in your fridge for about 4-5 days.
You can freeze Chicken A La King in your freezer for up to 3 months. With it’s creamy sauce, it doesn’t thaw and reheat as well after freezing. But it will still be delicious.
Notes, Variations and FAQs
- CAN I USE TUNA TO MAKE TUNA IN CHICKEN A LA KING? – Absolutely, people do this all the time! All you’ll need to do is switch out the cooked chicken with some quality, cooked tuna!
- CAN YOU MAKE THIS DISH VEGETARIAN FRIENDLY? – You can easily substitute Tofu for the chicken or just use some more veggies!
- WHAT IS THE BEST WAY TO COOK MY CHICKEN? – Boiling or baking chicken are both easy ways to cook chicken. You can also use an Instant Pot. Anytime we use our smoker, my husband always throws some chicken breasts in there and we chop it up and freeze it. Or, the ultimate shortcut, buying Rotisserie Chicken at the store!
- ADD SPINACH AND ARTICHOKE – Make this dish a little more fancy and fun by adding some spinach and artichoke.
- SOUTHWEST A LA KING – Add a little Tex Mex flair to this dish by adding flavors like black beans, corn, and a touch of lime and cilantro.
We hope you enjoy this Chicken A La King Recipe. We’d love to know how it works out for you in the comment section!
Chicken à la King
- 1/2 cup 1 stick, butter
- 1/2 cup diced green pepper
- 3 ounces fresh sliced mushrooms
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups chicken cooked and shredded or chopped
- 1 small jar 2 oz, diced pimientos, drained
- 3 cups 6 servings, cooked rice, kept warm for serving
- chopped fresh parsley optional for serving
- Melt butter in a large sauce pan and add green pepper and mushrooms. Over medium high heat, cook until mushrooms are tender, about 7 minutes.
- Sir in flour, salt and pepper and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture begins to bubble.
- Remove from heat and slowly stir in milk and chicken broth.
- Heat over medium heat, stirring constantly until bubbly, Let mixture boil for one minute before reducing heat to low.
- Stir in chicken and pimentos.
- Add cooked chicken. Continue to cook for 5 minutes or until chicken is hot.
- Serve on a bed of hot white rice topped with chopped fresh parsley if desired.