Bisquick Sausage Balls are a quick, easy and delicious recipe perfect for the Holidays or any occasion! Meaty, cheesy and perfect for dipping, they the perfect party food, holiday appetizer, snack or game day recipe!
Why You Will Love Bisquick Sausage Balls
- QUICK AND EASY – With just 6 common pantry ingredients, you probably already have most of what you need in your kitchen! And it uses my favorite secret ingredient: Bisquick! They take just about 5 minutes to combine and get in your oven!
- PERFECT FOR A CROWD – Make a batch of these and put them out as an appetizer with dipping sauces. This finger food is simple to share and eat!
- DELICIOUS – Tender, juicy sausage is combined with cheese and Bisquick turn into a snack full of flavor that your friends and family will gobble up, whether it is a holiday party or a game day gathering!
What Are Bisquick Sausage Balls?
So what are Sausage Balls? If you haven’t had one before, they are a little hard to explain. They aren’t really a meatball and they aren’t really a biscuit. The are somewhere in between. It’s almost like eating a small, bite-sized cheesy sausage breakfast biscuit!
They make a great appetizer or breakfast. They would work at a holiday feast or to dip in some spicy ranch while watching the big game on TV. And, there are just a couple of ingredients that you probably already have in your kitchen right now!
For step-by-step instructions, check out the printable recipe card below. But here is what you’ll need to get started.
- BISQUICK – To make these Sausage Balls Gluten Free, you can use Gluten-Free Bisquick.
- ITALIAN SAUSAGE – We used Italian Sausage, but you can sub for whatever you’d like. Chorizo or Spicy Sausage for a little kick. Or use the breakfast maple sausage if you plan on eating these in the morning. Or, to lighten up the dish, use turkey sausage.
- CHEDDAR JACK CHEESE – Shredded. We alway like to shred our own. It seems to incorporate better in recipes than the pre-shredded stuff. Of course, you can also use another type of cheese if you’d like.
- MILK – We used 2% but you whatever you’d like.
- GARLIC – Minced. You can mince your own fresh garlic, or use the stuff that come in a jar.
- RED PEPPER FLAKES – We add just a half of a teaspoon to give these sausage balls a little extra heat.
Do You Need To Refrigerate Bisquick Sausage Balls?
You’ll want to keep these Sausage Balls in an airtight container in your refrigerator. They should stay good for up to 3-4 days. You can reheat them in the microwave for about 30 seconds. Or in the oven at 350 degrees for 7-10 minutes.
Can You Freeze Bisquick Sausage Balls?
Can you freeze Bisquick Sausage Balls? Yep! This is a great recipe to freeze and then thaw out as needed. This recipe makes 40 sausage balls, so you can serve half of them and then freeze the other half for when you need them. Simply thaw them out in the fridge overnight and reheat in the oven at 350 degrees for 10 minutes.
You can also freeze them before being cooked. I’ll make them into the balls, arrange them on a tray and freeze them for at least an hour. Once they are frozen (and won’t stick to together) you can put them in a freezer bag.
What Dips To Serve With Sausage Balls?
Some great dips for this dish would be Honey Mustard, Ranch Dressing, Buffalo Ranch, Maple Syrup or mustard.
Notes, FAQs and Recipe Variations
- SHRED YOUR OWN CHEESE- I’ve found it’s often best to shred your own cheese rather than buy the pre-shredded kind. When you shred your own, it’s a little more moist and will help the sausage balls to not dry out.
- CAN YOU MAKE SAUSAGE BALLS WITHOUT BISQUICK? – Yep, just mix 2 Cup of Flour with 1 1/2 tbsp of baking powder and 1/2 tsp of salt.
- TOOTHPICKS– While this is a fine finger food to eat without utensils. It may be nice to stick some toothpicks in them as well for your guests. Or at least lay some to the side. This is especially true if there is dipping sauce.
- WHAT KIND OF SAUSAGE TO USE?– As far as the sausage, we used plain ground Italian Sausage. But you can use any ground pork sausage you’d like as long as it is ground sausage. Try using some Hot Sausage to add a little heat. I also found that the Sausage is easier to work with when it closer to room temperature.
- CHEESE- You can also experiment with the cheese as well! We think that the Cheddar Jack Cheese works perfectly, but go for a sharp cheddar cheese if that sounds yummy to you! Or add a little kick with pepper jack cheese.
- HOW CAN YOU TELL YOUR SAUSAGE BALLS ARE DONE?- You obviously don’t want to undercook them. But overcooked sausage balls can be dry. As you near the 25 minute mark, keep an eye on them. They should have a nice golden brown top to them when they are about to be done.
- TRY TO MAKE THEM ALL THE SAME SIZE – You can use a cookie scoop to ensure they are all the same size, you are looking to make about 1-inch balls.
- CAN YOU MAKE THESE GLUTEN FREE?- Yep! Simply substitute for Gluten Free Bisquick.
- USE PARCHMENT PAPER – We find it helpful to line our baking sheet with parchment paper.
Tools To Help With This Recipe
I hope you enjoy this Bisquick Sausage Balls Recipe! If you make them, I’d love to hear how they turned out in the comment section!
Bisquick Sausage Balls
- 2 cups Bisquick
- 1 pound Italian sausage
- 2 cups shredded cheddar jack cheese
- ½ cup milk
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Can You Freeze Sausage Balls?
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare a baking sheet by greasing with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Mix until well combined.
- Use a tablespoon to scoop out dough and form into a ball. Continue rolling all the dough into a ball until all the meat mixture has been used.
- Place each ball on a greased baking sheet and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until balls are golden brown.