1. Place the beans in a large stock pot or Dutch oven and cover with 10 cups water. Soak overnight.
2. After soaking, pour the beans into a strainer and clean the pot. Run the beans under cold water.
3. Allow the beans to drain while sauteing the onion and garlic.
4. When the onion and garlic are cooked, pour in the chicken broth, water, ham, and beans. Stir.
5. Cook over medium heat until the soup begins to boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer for one hour 30 minutes, until the beans are softened and the liquid has thickened.
6. Season with salt and pepper, as needed, before serving.