1. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
2. Whisk self rising flour and sugar.
3. Cut in the shortening until the mixture resembles coarse sand.
4. Pour in the buttermilk and stir until dough forms.
5. Turn the dough out onto a floured surface and knead.
6. Roll the dough out until it’s around ¼ inch thick, then use a biscuit cutter to cut out the biscuits.
7. Place each biscuit on an ungreased baking sheet and cook for 20 to 25 minutes, until the biscuits are golden brown. Halfway through the cook time, brush the tops of the biscuits with butter, then return them to the oven to continue baking.